HomeSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

BARE KNUCKLE: Classic Streets of Rage Mega Thread!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mr.Din
Admin

PostSubject: BARE KNUCKLE: Classic Streets of Rage Mega Thread!   Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:36 pm

Time to discuss my all time favorite Brawler series, Streets of Rage! Known as Bare Knuckle in Japan, this series is SEGA's answer to the exclusive to Super Nintendo (at the time) Final Fight series and what an answer it was. The series main protagonist consist of 3 vigilante ex-cops who range from a Boxer, Mix-Martial Artist and a Judo Practitioner as well a Wrestler and even crazy designs such as a kid on skates, a cyborg old man, a kangaroo and a flamboyant village people knock off.

The main antagonist is Mr.X and as of the 2nd game in the series his right hand man Shiva, together they run a syndicate that holds a grip over Wood Oak City, the setting of the game. This syndicate hosts goons ranging from regular thugs, bikers, whip ladies, kung fu fighters, ninjas, kickboxers, jugglers, robots, wrestlers, fat men who breathe fire, you name it they just might have hired them for a job or two!

The series only lasted a trilogy of games for the SEGA Genesis/MegaDrive aside from ports and one particular mobile phone remake and any planned sequel or reboot since has faced the same fate of cancellation. However the niche but strong fanbase keeps this series going through fan games, fan fiction, artwork and many other venues. Hopefully one day SEGA sees to it that we get a sequel or even a reboot for current and next gen consoles.

-Main Series- (Chronologically ordered)
Streets of Rage/ Bare Knuckle: Ikari no Tekken (Furious Iron Fist
Released: Aug '91(JP, EU) Sep '91(NA)

Streets of Rage 2/ Bare Knuckle II: Shito he no Chinkonka (The Requiem of the Deadly Battle)
Released: Dec '92 (NA), Jan 93 (JP, EU)

Streets of Rage 3/Bare Knuckle III: Tekken Seiten (Iron Fist Scriptures)
Released: March '94(JP) June '94 (NA, EU, Aus)

post up any news and goodies or just chat it up!

Last edited by Mr.Din on Fri May 20, 2016 12:18 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://brawlersavenue.net
Brawl

PostSubject: Re: BARE KNUCKLE: Classic Streets of Rage Mega Thread!   Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:23 pm

Quite frankly, the comparison to the SNES Final Fight's is unfair to that particular series. Sega had the advantage of being a first party, developing a series from scratch for their own console, while Capcom had the disadvantage of porting an arcade game to much more limited hardware, which at best could only keep up with arcades in aesthetics, for a while.

The original Final Fight port had a lot cut, including 2 player mode, and the fast character. Later, a revision was made with the fast character, while removing the average character. The 2nd game was pretty much a re-skin of the first, but now there's the 2 player mode gamers wanted, and 3 playable characters, 2 of which were completely new, replacing the fast and average characters of the first game. The 3rd effort was much better, and stands out as a vast improvement, though 2 player, or the new AI partner mode, would provide a lot of slow down.

Streets of Rage was pretty much built around the basics that the arcade version of Final Fight had used to redefine the genre. It added some new ideas, like throw recovery and backward attacking(which actually goes back to Double Dragon's back elbow, but hadn't been used in the style Final Fight had created yet). In Mania difficulty, it was possible to have to face down 11 enemies in 2 player mode(13 characters on screen) with zero slowdown. Again, this being due to Sega knowing the console themselves, but really also the prowess of the Genesis on the whole. Plus the soundtrack by Yuzo Koshiro is considered one of the best of the entire generation.

Streets of Rage 2 was one of the greatest, if not the greatest, improvements in a sequel ever. The characters are larger(some bosses being Neo-Geo fighter sized), the playable cast is animated when idle, and there are new types of moves to utilize. Mania difficulty will see consistent streams of 6 enemies at a time, in 2 player(8 characters on screen) mode, with possibly 3 breakable objects, and as stated, the 2 player characters animated, with no slowdown. Animation takes a lot out of sprite work as well, so this really becomes an underrated technical marvel for the console. Plus Yuzo Koshiro kept up with the amazing soundtrack of the original, and in some opinions, improved upon it.

Streets of Rage 3 added a lot of improvements on the gameplay front, but the experimental music didn't quite live up to the series standards. It was considered a disappointment, mainly because of a butchered localization, and because, quite frankly, nothing could live up to the bar Streets of Rage 2 set, especially in terms of improving a sequel. It still stands as an excellent game in it's own right. It loses an enemy, for a total of 5 on Mania, but comes with improved animation at the same time.

Honestly, it's no wonder the series receives so much love on the fan game side, with the MUGEN of beat 'em ups being called "Beats of Rage," and a fan project that took 8 years out of the lives of a small development team (which still utilized the improvements Streets of Rage 3 brought, so check your disappointment with that game at the door Razz).
Back to top Go down
Mr.Din
Admin

PostSubject: Re: BARE KNUCKLE: Classic Streets of Rage Mega Thread!   Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:20 pm

^ I couldn't have said it better myself. The series was definitely ahead of it's time, honestly even the later beat em ups don't compare when it comes to a combat system like SoR's imho. It provided simple gameplay but gave you OPTIONS, this is something I LOVE most about the series in it's gameplay, you are not confined to doing one thing nor are you limited to having to do certain things to defeat enemies, you're free to explore the system and play to your own style which is pretty evident when watching playthroughs varying person to person.

I'd like to add though that even in idle the characters in SoR1 still had a "wait" animation. In hindsight one can only wonder how sega could possibly raise the bar if a new game were to ever surface.
Back to top Go down
http://brawlersavenue.net
Candra Software

PostSubject: Re: BARE KNUCKLE: Classic Streets of Rage Mega Thread!   Tue May 24, 2016 9:49 am

SOR3 had improved gameplay mechanics, but that can't outweigh the general damage nerfs, the evil localization and overall length of the game, so I've gotten used to the "stiffness" of SOR2. By stiffness, I mean that there's a delay before your character can move after attacking.
Back to top Go down
http://candra-m.blogspot.com
Mister X Neo

PostSubject: Re: BARE KNUCKLE: Classic Streets of Rage Mega Thread!   Tue May 31, 2016 2:25 pm

I definitely agree with all that was stated here. SOR3 has slowly grown on me over the years, but I think I'll always love 2 the most. However all three of the games, even with some issues 3 had with not being able to add in some of the stuff they originally wanted were and still are pretty damn good games. It's a solid trilogy without a doubt.

PostSubject: Re: BARE KNUCKLE: Classic Streets of Rage Mega Thread!   Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:34 am

Candra Software wrote:
By stiffness, I mean that there's a delay before your character can move after attacking.

It's so minor(unless that was improved upon for the North American release. It seems Japan and Europe may have gotten the same release) though that it's very easy to overlook. The only flaw that's not as easy to overlook is that you can't turn on a Blitz, and thus have to press the direction 3 times fast to Blitz in the opposite direction. When those are the only complaints though, you know you've got a real masterpiece on your hands.

Edit: I take it back, it's not easy to overlook, it's just flat out not an issue. I can turn on a dime with both Axel and Max. Are you sure this isn't an input lag issue with an old console/newer TV setup(or however you experience this)?
Back to top Go down
Candra Software

PostSubject: Re: BARE KNUCKLE: Classic Streets of Rage Mega Thread!   Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:28 am

Most of the time, I play my games on a PC. My emulator of choice for Genesis games is either Gens11svn296/304 (for testing my ROM hacks), or BizHawk (to verify my sprites and make sure that they aren't glitched on certain emulators). Occasionally, I play my Wii U on a Hanns-G Monitor, using a wireless PS2 controller plugged into a controller adapter, plus the emulator RetroArch Wii, and I don't notice any input delay. In fact, I rarely play on consoles nowadays.

What still annoys me about SOR2 is the lack of grab reversals and team attacks from SOR1. They expect you to mash B and C really fast in order to escape from grabs. If you're in a 2-player game, I like to back throw Max so that he can reach the other side of the screen faster without using using his Offense Special. Also, if you want to do an Offense Special in the opposite direction, your character doesn't automatically turn around; you have to already be facing the direction you want to use your Offense Special. All of these are just minor.
Back to top Go down
Brawl

PostSubject: Re: BARE KNUCKLE: Classic Streets of Rage Mega Thread!   Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:57 am

I'm using Fusion, and after attacking I can get the characters to turn around right away. Though, to be fair, I'm using a USB adapter with an actual 1st party Genesis 6 button controller(and with Mode, it's just enough buttons for SoRR). Throwing Max(or anyone) does seem to be the only double team, outside of surrounding an enemy and beating the crap out of them from both sides, but then how many console exclusives have that much? Also, it was developed by Ancient this time around, so not utilizing everything Streets of Rage had is pretty forgivable, since this was the only one they developed. It shows that Sega did 3 themselves, as those elements from the original returned(along with stage hazards).

Also, I've got no problem using the slide kick to get around. It's easy enough to pull off consistently, while you're still in the middle of it. If you knock enemies down going from place to place, oh well.

That's probably why a 4th installment has been doomed so many times over. Sega seems to want to outsource the even numbered sequels. Which is strange, as Sega has been the only company to consistently get pure beat 'em ups right in the 3rd dimension, without having to go 2.5D, or pulling out a new combo system, like Koei.
Back to top Go down
Candra Software

PostSubject: Re: BARE KNUCKLE: Classic Streets of Rage Mega Thread!   Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:15 am

I'm far too accustomed to using a keyboard, and I do spam Max's slide a lot to advance.
Back to top Go down
gsaurus

PostSubject: Re: BARE KNUCKLE: Classic Streets of Rage Mega Thread!   Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:49 am

As a curiosity, moonwalk works on some emulators, such as the Sega Megadrive & Genesis Classics emulator, at least for sor2. In certain conditions, I think holding left and right, and then up (or down), the character starts moonwalking.
This is probably similar to issues in emulators for other platforms, such as the (S)NES emulators that allows for super mario super fast moonwalk, I couldn't pull that off in all emulators.
Back to top Go down
Candra Software

PostSubject: Re: BARE KNUCKLE: Classic Streets of Rage Mega Thread!   Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:40 am

Moonwalking involves holding Left+Right at the same time.
Back to top Go down
gsaurus

PostSubject: Re: BARE KNUCKLE: Classic Streets of Rage Mega Thread!   Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:42 am

Yeah but it doesn't seem to trigger every time, sometimes it only starts once I also press up. I'm still unsure how it works.
Back to top Go down
Candra Software

PostSubject: Re: BARE KNUCKLE: Classic Streets of Rage Mega Thread!   Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:55 am

It seems that you can only moonwalk to the right. I can get it to work consistently, though.
Back to top Go down
Sm_Izumi

PostSubject: Re: BARE KNUCKLE: Classic Streets of Rage Mega Thread!   Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:01 am

THIS IS STORY TIME !  This game is important to me cause it's the first game i ever played in my life.

I started to play with SOR2 when i was around 4-6 years old, i cant date the picture exaclty now but i actually found one of me playing with my dad you can clearly see we're on Barbon screen me playing as Blaze and dad on Axel. Unfortunately i sucked so much that my dad yelled at me constantly, the only memory i got from it lol. I didnt let the game fall into nightmares it was so amazing to me to be able to play such a masterpiece and when my dad got another console he let the genesis in a guest room that will become my sister futur bedroom so i could play this console by my own and finally kick ass of punks until i reach Stage 3 (Because i was fucking scared shitless of this stage as a kid) i always reset the game and do the first stages.

We also had the PAL SOR3 game and what more atrocious than a game destroyed by USA localization and slow down by PAL hahaha. I really hated this game and never got passed stage 2 because it was so bad and hard, i made the effort to Stage 2 because my favourite characters of all time was here, Onihime and Yasha.

My father sold the Genesis was probably one of the biggest hurt as a kid, i was devastated and had to play Zelda and Mario on N64. Probably one of the main reason now i cant see those games now xD
I went back to SOR 1 and 2 collection on Genesis as a teenager in one of my ex girlfriend's place and god i missed the game so much and also finally got to play the original but as a teenager you're not really aware of old things and dont get time to enjoy them so after few death and rage i always went back on SOR2.

Since then i got a PC, emulator and run SOR2 pretty much all days for years even my PSP had the SEGA emulator and played more SOR2 than all PSP games i had this time.

I knew some of the youtubers making glitch videos and some TAS on the game, i saw a speedrun too, commented by french famous commentators Realmyop and Coeur de Vandale that really make me want to do this by myself, after few tries i gave up and only really started on 2015 after seeing Galedog at AGDQ and took the courage to mail him for advice. He is one hell of a good player in this game and without him i'd never had the courage to play the games as seriously and fine than before. Now i speedrun SOR1, 2 and even SOR3 and BK3 and love them all for what they are.

This is great to have some knowledge to share with people, new players, friends, actual good players like Anthopant this is something i always wanted to do, show how amazing the games are and i'll still defend them to death against people spitting on ^. ^

I'm really glad to see people are still enjoying the games in end of 2016, some for good reasons some for bad (SORremake hehe)
Back to top Go down
https://soundcloud.com/shinxizumi
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BARE KNUCKLE: Classic Streets of Rage Mega Thread!   

Back to top Go down

BARE KNUCKLE: Classic Streets of Rage Mega Thread!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1